Gridiron Grilled Veggie Sandwiches
- 1 of 5 Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Spread eggplant slices on a sheet of paper towels and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of the salt. Set aside to drain. Blot with paper towels.
- 2 of 5 In a small bowl, blend remaining 1/4 tsp salt, the vinegar and mustard. While whisking, add oil in a thin stream. Whisk in pepper.
- 3 of 5 Brush eggplant and onion with some of the dressing and grill 4 minutes per side, turning once. Remove to a platter. Brush zucchini with dressing and grill 3 minutes per side, turning once (this may need to be done in batches). Transfer to platter. Refrigerate overnight.
- 4 of 5 Heat oven to 350 degrees. Slice bread lengthwise in half. Spread each cut side with 1/4 cup of the pesto. Divide eggplant slices between loaves. Top with zucchini, onion, cheese and roasted peppers. Replace top crusts and wrap loaves in foil.
- 5 of 5 Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, weighing down with a cast-iron skillet or foil-wrapped brick. Unwrap loaves and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and sandwiches are warm throughout. Cut each loaf into 8 slices.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Per Serving: 16 mg chol., 4 g sat. fat, 303 kcal cal., 16 g Fat, total, 0 null Mark as Free Exchange, 11 g pro., 523 mg sodium, 30 g carb., 4 g fiber