Holiday Cake Roll
- 1 of 7 Heat oven to 375 degrees . Coat a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with wax or parchment paper and coat paper with spray.
- 2 of 7 In a large bowl, combine whole eggs, egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar. Beat with a hand mixer on medium-high speed 5 minutes, until thickened and a very pale yellow. Beat in 1 tsp of the vanilla.
- 3 of 7 Sift cake flour over egg mixture and fold into batter.
- 4 of 7 In a clean bowl with clean beaters, whip egg whites with remaining 1 tbsp granulated sugar and the salt until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into egg mixture. Spread into pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, until top springs back when pressed. Sift 1/2 tbsp of the confectioners' sugar over the cake; invert onto a clean kitchen towel (run a thin knife around edge of pan before flipping cake over). Remove pan and paper. Sift 1/2 tbsp of the confectioners' sugar over bottom of cake. Starting from a short side, loosely roll up cake and towel. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
- 5 of 7 Meanwhile, make filling. In a large bowl, beat butter until smooth. Set aside 1/3 cup of the confectioners' sugar. Gradually beat remaining sugar into butter. Add 1/3 cup of the heavy cream and beat until desired consistency. On low, beat in 1 tsp of the vanilla and fold in nonpareils.
- 6 of 7 Gently unroll cake and spread with filling. Carefully re-roll cake without towel. Transfer to a serving platter, seam side down.
- 7 of 7 For frosting, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in reserved 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar. Add remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 tsp vanilla and beat until a fluffy frosting forms, about 5 minutes. Spread frosting on sides and top of cake. Sprinkle cake with decorating sugar and embellish with holly made from spearmint leaves and cherry candies.
Servings Per Recipe: 8