Cupid Cookie Cake
Berries and Cream:
- 1 of 5 Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line bottoms of three 9-inch-round cake pans with waxed paper. Coat pans and waxed paper with nonstick cooking spray. Coat baking sheet with spray.
- 2 of 5 Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk powder and salt in food processor. Whirl to mix. Add butter. Pulse with on-and-off motion until mixture is texture of fine meal. With motor running, add milk through feed tube until mixture just comes together.*
- 3 of 5 Divide dough into 4 equal batches. Pat 3 batches into three 9-inch rounds on floured waxed paper. Invert rounds into prepared pans; pat out dough evenly in bottom of pans.
- 4 of 5 Roll remaining batch of dough on floured waxed paper with floured rolling pin to 3/8-inch thickness. Place in freezer for 15 minutes to chill. Cut out 2-1/2-inch heart cookies with cookie cutters. Cut out cupid cookie, tracing pattern at left, or enlarge cupid pattern on photocopy machine one-third to one-half larger. Place cookies on prepared baking sheet.
- 5 of 5 Bake layers at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Invert onto wire racks to cool; remove waxed paper. Bake cookies at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes or until golden. Transfer to racks to cool. Drizzle round layers with melted chocolate if desired.
Prepare Berries and Cream:
- 1 of 1 Thickly slice berries. Beat cream, sugar and vanilla in medium-size bowl until soft peaks form.
- 1 of 1 Place one shortcake layer on serving platter. Place half the berries evenly over the layer. Spread evenly with 1 cup cream. Top with second shortcake layer, remaining berries, 1 cup cream, remaining shortcake layer and remaining cream. Refrigerate.
- 1 of 2 Stir powdered sugar and 2-1/2 teaspoons of the water in small bowl until good spreading consistency. If frosting is too thick, add water, 1/4 teaspoon at a time. Divide icing into batches; tint with food coloring as desired.
- 2 of 2 Decorate cookies with icing as desired. Let air-dry. Arrange on top of cake as pictured.
- 1 of 1 To prepare dough by hand, cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender or 2 knives held scissor-fashion, until mixture is texture of fine meal. Drizzle in milk, tossing with a fork, until mixture just comes together.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Per Serving: 117 mg chol., 553 g sat. fat, 117 g carb., 35 g Fat, total, 635 kcal cal., 553 mg sodium