Paula Carson's Coconut Cake
- 1 of 4 Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 9-inch round cake pans. Dust pans with flour, tapping out the excess.
- 2 of 4 Beat butter in a large bowl until creamy. Add sugar, beating well, until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3 of 4 Blend flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Add to batter, alternating with milk, beating thoroughly after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Divide batter equally among the prepared cake pans.
- 4 of 4 Bake layers at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cakes completely in the pans on wire racks.
- 1 of 2 Combine egg whites, sugar, 1/2 cup water, corn syrup and salt in heavy saucepan. Heat over very low heat, beating constantly with a mixer for 7 minutes until soft peaks form. Remove saucepan from heat. Add vanilla and lemon extracts; beat 1 minute.
- 2 of 2 Place one cake layer on a plate. Top with a little frosting; sprinkle with a little coconut. Stack with second layer; repeat. Top with last layer. Frost cake. Sprinkle remaining coconut over sides and top.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Per Serving: 87 g carb., 134 mg chol., 174 mg sodium, 25 g Fat, total, 8 g pro., 545 kcal cal., 16 g sat. fat, 3 g fiber