Mile-High Apple Pie
Prep 45 m
Chill 60 m
Cool 60 m
Freeze 20 m
Bake 40 m
Cook 15 m
Chill plus 1 hour
- 1 of 1 In large bowl, mix flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces the size of peas remain and texture is uniform. Drizzle in cold water, tossing with fork until dough is evenly moistened and just begins to hold together. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface, and gather together. Divide dough in half; shape each half into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour.
- 1 of 6 Meanwhile, in large deep pot (at least 6 quarts), heat butter over medium heat. Add apple wedges; cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until just tender (not falling apart). Transfer apples to large bowl; refrigerate 1 hour.
- 2 of 6 In small bowl, stir together 2/3 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, ginger and cloves until well blended. Once apples are cool, gently stir sugar mixture into the apples. Set the filling aside.
- 3 of 6 On lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough into 14-inch circle. Carefully transfer dough to 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Trim excess dough and reserve, leaving slight overhang.
- 4 of 6 Sprinkle crumbled cookies over bottom of crust. Using slotted spoon, transfer apple mixture to pie dish, mounding very high in center. Pour remaining liquid in bowl over apples.
- 5 of 6 Roll out second half of dough into 13-inch circle. Carefully drape on top of mounded pie filling. Trim any excess pastry and reserve; crimp top edge together with bottom crust; flute decoratively. Cut 3 vents in pastry with paring knife. Gather reserved scraps of dough together and roll out; cut out leaf shapes. Attach to top crust of pie with a little of the egg white from the glaze. Place pie in freezer for 20 minutes to firm crust.
- 6 of 6 Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 1 of 2 Remove the pie from the freezer. Brush the crust with the egg white; sprinkle with the 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 2 of 2 Bake in 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes to set crust. Lower temperature to 350 degrees F; bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden and apples are very tender; cover edge of crust with foil if it browns too quickly. Cool pie on wire rack for about 1 hour or until bottom is warm but not hot to the touch. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Information for Mile-High Apple Pie
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Servings Per Recipe: 12