Riverhead Grill's Old-fashioned Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 of 3 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2 of 3 Stir together sugar and cornstarch in medium-size saucepan until well blended. Gradually stir in lemon zest and juice until smooth. Mix in water and butter; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and then boils for 1 minute.
- 3 of 3 Beat egg yolks slightly in small bowl. Whisk in about half of lemon juice mixture. Stir yolk mixture into lemon juice mixture in saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes until mixture thickens slightly. Pour into the pie shell.
- 1 of 3 Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium-size bowl. Beat at medium speed until soft peaks form. Then gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- 2 of 3 Spread meringue over hot filling so it touches piecrust all around edge.
- 3 of 3 Bake in preheated 325 degree F oven until meringue is browned and temperature in center of meringue registers 140 degrees F on instant-read thermometer, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled, 4 hours or overnight. Serve cold. Makes 8 servings.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Per Serving: 91 mg chol., 4 g pro., 73 g carb., 15 g Fat, total, 440 kcal cal., 211 mg sodium