Seared Scallops with "Chaka Laka"
- 1 of 2 Bring water to boil in heavy stainless-steel saucepan. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal, salt and pepper, whisking continuously for about 5 minutes.
- 2 of 2 Spread oil in 8 x 8-inch baking dish to coat and spread cooked cornmeal into it. Let cool. Cut into 6 strips, then cut each strip crosswise in half. Set aside.
- 1 of 1 In heavy stainless-steel pot, heat oil; add onions and cook over medium-high heat until they color lightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garam masala and cook another minute. Add tomatoes, jalapeno, sugar and salt; cook about 5 minutes. Mix well. Set aside.
- 1 of 2 Heat butter in large nonstick skillet. Add cornmeal pieces and cook over medium-high heat on both sides until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Add scallops to same pan; cook over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn; cook another 2 minutes.
- 2 of 2 Divide Chaka Laka among 6 warm plates; sprinkle with the chopped cilantro. Divide scallops on top. Serve with Crisp Cornmeal. Makes 6 servings.
- 1 of 1 Garam masala is available from McCormick, 800-632-5847 or www.mccormick.com.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Per Serving: 15 g pro., 3 g fiber, 618 mg sodium, 255 kcal cal., 40 mg chol., 4 g sat. fat, 22 g carb., 12 g Fat, total