- 1 of 5 Heat oven to 350 degrees F if baking stuffing in dish.
- 2 of 5 If using fresh chestnuts, cut large X in flat side of each; place on baking sheet. (If using canned, omit Steps 2, 3 and proceed to Step 4.)
- 3 of 5 Bake fresh chestnuts in 350 degree F oven 25 minutes, until shells curl back. Let cool. Peel shell and dark membrane. Coarsely chop chestnuts.
- 4 of 5 Place chopped fresh or canned chestnuts in large bowl. Cook the onions and celery in oil in a large saucepan for 3 minutes. Add the apples; cook for about 2 minutes, until softened. Add to chestnuts in bowl. Add carrots, crackers, raisins, eggs, water, salt, sage, pepper. Spoon into 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover the dish with foil.
- 5 of 5 Bake in 350 degree F oven 45 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 15 minutes or until browned on top.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Per Serving: 536 mg sodium, 293 kcal cal., 4 g pro., 48 g carb., 10 g Fat, total, 27 mg chol., 2 g sat. fat, 4 g fiber