Tomato Sauce (optional):
- 1 of 4 Place potatoes in large pot and cover with cold water. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer until fork-tender, 25 minutes. Drain; return potatoes to pot; cook over medium heat 1 minute or until dry.
- 2 of 4 Pass potatoes through food mill over large bowl, or push through medium sieve with spatula. Add melted butter, egg, yolk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix in enough bread flour to make stiff dough. Knead a few times in bowl to blend.
- 3 of 4 Heat oven to 200 degrees F. Line baking sheet with waxed paper. Lightly dust with flour.
- 4 of 4 Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. With well-floured hands, roll each into rope, 1 inch in diameter. Cut each rope into 1/2-inch pieces. Place on prepared baking sheet. You should have about 90 gnocchi. (See Make-Ahead Tips, below.)
- 1 of 1 Place heat-proof plate with 2 tablespoons butter in 200 degrees F oven. Bring large skillet or pot of water to a boil. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Drop in about a quarter of the gnocchi. When they float to top, about 2 minutes, remove with skimmer and transfer to warm plate in oven; stir to coat gnocchi with butter. Cook remaining gnocchi in batches. Reserve 1 cup of the gnocchi cooking water.
- 1 of 1 If using sauce, heat in medium-size saucepan. Add cooked gnocchi; gently heat through. Add as much of reserved pasta water as needed to thin sauce and evenly coat gnocchi.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Per Serving: 307 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 92 mg chol., 5 g sat. fat, 246 kcal cal., 7 g pro., 31 g carb., 10 g Fat, total