Family Circle 2016 Presidential Cookie Poll
And the 2016 Winning Cookie Is...
2016 Winner: Clinton Family's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Scroll through the slideshow to see both candidates' recipes.
Melania Trump’s Star Cookies
Makes 4 dozen cookies Prep 15 minutes Bake at 350° for 10 minutes per batch
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 egg yolks
1 egg white
2 tbsp sour cream
• Combine flour and baking soda. Set aside.
• Beat butter and sugar until blended. Add egg yolks, egg white and sour cream. Beat until smooth.
• Beat in flour mixture until dough just comes together. Form into 2 disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
• Heat oven to 350°. Roll out one disk on liberally floured wax paper with a floured rolling pin to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 21/2-inch star cutter, cut out star shapes and place on a wax-paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with second disk. Gather up scraps, form into a disk and refrigerate.
• Bake 10 minutes per batch, until lightly golden. Slide cookies onto a cooling rack and cool.
• Re-roll scraps, cut out additional stars and bake.
Clinton Family’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies Prep 15 minutes Bake at 350° for 12 minutes
1 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 pkg (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
• Heat oven to 350°. Grease 2 large baking sheets.
• Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
• Beat together shortening, sugars and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy. Add eggs, beating until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture and rolled oats. Stir in chocolate chips.
• Drop batter by well-rounded teaspoons onto greased baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool cookies on sheets on a wire rack for 2 minutes. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.