Since we test the recipes for each issue in the FC test kitchen, there are bound to be some that we really look forward to tasting. Case in point: the Pizza Margherita that appears in our July "All in the Family" story, about the NYC restaurant and local news family, the Scottos. And we weren't disappointed—it's as good as it looks! Inspired by that recipe (but honestly, a bit lazy when it comes to cooking at home), I grilled up my own variation with frozen pizza dough, sweet red onions, earthy mushrooms and creamy goat cheese. Once you master the main technique of pizza on the grill, try your hand at customizing a pie for each person in your family.
Grilled Pizzas with Caramelized Onion and Mushrooms
Makes 4 servings Prep 10 minutes Let Rest 30 minutes Cook 19 minutes Grill 4 minutes
1 lb frozen pizza dough, thawed
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 cups sliced brown mushrooms2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp creamy goat cheese, softened
11/3 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
Coarsely ground salt and pepper
- Heat a gas grill to medium-high heat; light a charcoal grill for direct grilling. Leave pizza dough at room temperature for 30 minutes to make it easier to roll/stretch out.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a large stainless skillet over medium heat. Add onion and salt, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and cook 5 more minutes. Remove from pan to a bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp butter to pan and increase heat to medium. Stir in mushrooms and sauté 4 minutes, until browned.
- Dust a countertop lightly with flour. Divide dough into quarters and roll or stretch to 7- or 8-inch disks. Brush disks with 1 tbsp of the oil. Transfer disks, oil side down, to grill grate. Grill 2 minutes, uncovered, until tops puff and appear dry to the touch. Brush with oil and flip onto a large cutting board or baking sheet so that the grilled side is up.
- Spread 1 tbsp goat cheese onto each grilled crust. Top each with 1/3 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, 1/4 of the onions and 1/4 of the mushrooms. Return pizzas to grill, cover and cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano and coarsely ground salt and pepper. Serve warm.