1 of 5
What You Need
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 6 minutes
Bake: at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
4 slices thinly sliced Black Forest ham
1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (3 to 4 ounces)
8 teaspoons Dijon or honey mustard
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 of 5
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place one breast half between two sheets of waxed paper on a cutting board. Pound to an even thickness of 1/4 inch with the flat side of a meat mallet, a rolling pin, or a cast-iron pan. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
3 of 5
Roll It Up
2. Spread out one piece of ham; pile 1/4 cup of the cheese in the middle, then tightly fold up burrito-style to enclose. Spread one pounded chicken breast with 2 teaspoons of the mustard. Place ham bundle on chicken; slide to one narrow end.
4 of 5
3. Roll chicken breast, enclosing bundle. Secure with a toothpick or two; tuck in any loose ends. Repeat for a total of four stuffed chicken breasts.
5 of 5
4. Spread flour onto a dinner plate, and pour eggs into a pie dish and bread crumbs on to a second dinner plate. Coat one stuffed breast with flour, dip in egg completely, then coat with bread crumbs, adhering with fingers if needed. Repeat with all chicken pieces.
5. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and brown, covered, 3 minutes. Flip chicken over, and continue to cook, covered, an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a shallow baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F. for 12 to 15 minutes or until temperature registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
Originally published in the January 2008 issue of Family Circle magazine.