14 Fashion & Beauty Looks That Go the Extra Mile
Trends 1 & 2: Dewy Skin and Lavender
Ditch the matte foundation and opt for makeup that creates a glowy, luminous complexion.
- Use a brightening primer, like Stila One Step Illuminate (ulta.com, $36), all over your skin
- Then add a peachy-coral blush, such as Honest Beauty Crème Blush in Truly Charming (honestbeauty.com, $22), on apples of cheeks.
- Finish with a rose gold highlighter, like Inglot Medium Sparkler Face Eyes Body Highlighter #31 (inglotusa.com, $22), on top of cheekbones and down the bridge of your nose.
Tops, dresses, skirts, you name it—lavender is taking over for spring. Choose one great piece in this super-flattering color, or pair pieces in lighter and darker shades for a chic monochromatic look.
Trend 3: Trench Coat
Losing the structure of a classic trench, this season’s version is softer and more feminine—flattering in all the right places.
Trend 4: Striped Nails
Vertical lines create the illusion of longer nails, says Frances Liang for Tenoverten. Vary the color and width of lines according to your style. Revlon ColorStay Gel Envy in All or Nothing (drugstores, $8) and SpaRitual Earl Grey Nourishing Vegan Color (sparitual.com, $12.50) are two shades to try.
Trend 5: Fanny Pack
The (new-and-improved) ’80s and ’90s staple is back. Go hands-free while still keeping your essentials close, whether worn around the waist or crossbody.
- Top left: Bag, G.I.L.I., qvc.com, $80. Top, craneandlion.com, $69. Pants, nautica.com, $69
- Top right: Bag, urbanexpressions.net, $55. Top, oldnavy.com, $27. Skirt, lacoste.com, $135
- Bottom left: Bag, Rebecca Minkoff, nordstrom.com, $175. Top, garnethill.com, $128
- Bottom right: Bag, cloveandrevel.com, $179. Top, grana.com, $109. Jeans, liverpooljeans.com, $79
Trend 6: Woven Shoes
Breathable designs keep feet cool in all types of styles. Plus, they transition seamlessly between seasons.
- Top left: Shoes, comfortiva.com, $85. Pants, shop.guess.com, $89
- Top right: Shoes, indigo rd., amazon.com, $59. Jeans, Sanctuary, sanctuaryclothing.com, $109
- Bottom left: Shoes, ninewest.com, $119. Jeans, parkersmith.com, $174 (20% off with code FAMILY20)
- Bottom right: Shoes, colehaan.com, $180. Pants, jcrew.com, $98
Trends 7 & 8: Hoop Earrings & Shimmery Eyes
The circular shape draws attention to—and helps define—your jaw and cheekbones. We love classic hoops (shown here), but new shapes and designs are everywhere. Earrings, maisonmiru.com, $49
Sparkly shades won’t settle into wrinkles on or around eyelids. To achieve grown-up glitter, apply a shimmery shadow all over the lid and swipe a complementary sparkly color just on top of the upper lash line—where you would use eyeliner, says Sarah Lucero, celebrity makeup artist and global creative director for Stila Cosmetics. Try Almay Shadow Squad in Individualist, target.com, $7.
Trends 9, 10 & 11: Lace-Up Top, Glossy Lips & Striped Pants
Traditionally designed with a nautical twist, the updated tie top is less casual, more luxe. Keep it modest or let loose—adjustable ties mean you decide how much skin to show.
- Top, clubmonaco.com, $130
- Shoes, Franco Sarto, amazon.com, $99
- Earrings, vincecamuto.com, $18
- Bracelets, gorjana.com, $70 to $110 each
A super-shiny smile is the simplest way to create the illusion of a plumped-up pout, says Lucero. Apply a sheer non-sticky gloss, like Stila Lip Glaze in Apricot (sephora.com, $22), over any bright matte lip color. Start in the center of your mouth and blend outward.
Legs for days! Vertical stripes elongate. Pants, karenkane.com, $109
Trend 12: Embroidery
Trends 13 & 14: Texture Waves and Shirtdress
No worries if your hair doesn’t dry into perfect curls. This easy hairstyle is meant to be loose and lived-in. Spray a texture spray, like Kristin Ess Dry Finish Working Texture Spray (target.com, $14), onto mostly dry (80%) hair and scrunch gently with fingers, says Sadah Saltzman, hairstylist at Salon AKS in New York City. If your hair is naturally straight, sleep in two loose braids (done on damp hair) to add some texture.
Meet the new shirtdress: softer lines yet still polished in a menswear-inspired silhouette. This one is extra special—the knotted waistline hides flaws.