5 Tips to Control Frizzy Hair
Fight Your Frizz
As much as we all wish we could be experts at styling our own hair, sometimes we just need some guidance. These gentlemen are your knights in shining armor, helping you have the hair of your dreams: Christo, celebrity stylist and owner of Christo Fifth Avenue in NYC, and David John, colorist at Sally Hershberger Los Angeles.
Steps to Frizz-Free Hair
- Start in the Shower The first step starts in the shower with a hydrating, repairing shampoo, like Redken Clear Moisture Hydrating Shampoo (com, $17). When hair is well nourished, it's less likely to react to humidity. Limit sudsing to every other day. This allows your body's natural oils to condition the scalp and hair follicles.
- Choose Your Hair Tools Wisely They are not all created equal. For straight locks, boar-bristle brushes are gentle (read: less breakage) and will help distribute hair's natural oils. Before washing, brush hair from root to tip to detangle strands and stimulate blood flow on the scalp. Curly-haired girls should stick with wide-tooth combs, used only after conditioner.
Steps to Frizz-Free Hair
3. Always Apply Anti-Frizz Products
Always apply anti-frizz product on damp hair from roots to tips, whether you’re letting it dry naturally or using heat. (See our list of recommendations at the end of the article!)
Drying tips: If blow-drying, use a heat-protectant spray (such as Aveda Brilliant Damage Control, Aveda.com, $22). Start by flipping your hair upside down and dry about 70%. Flip head up and run a medium-size brush through 2-inch layers, lifting at the crown. Keep strands smooth by angling blow-dryer down toward the ends.
For wavy hair, divide into five sections starting in the back. Add a combo of lightweight lotion and styling cream to each and diffuse until mostly dry. Spritz a finishing spray all over and then let it be—touching hair repeatedly creates fuzz.
If you air-dry, a leave-in conditioner is key to taming wild hair.
- Strengthen Strands Strengthen the strands of your hair with an at-home protein mask (like the Curlisto masque below) to rebuild keratin, which is what your hair is made of. Aim for once a week; regular treatments will increase softness and shine. Check the label listing for corn, rice, wheat and soy proteins. All are extremely moisturizing.
- Quick Fix For a quick fix to tuck away flyaways, apply a silicone-based cream or serum. An oil treatment—argan, Moroccan, or similar—will also give you gorgeous glossiness.
Next slide: The Best Products to Tame Frizzy Hair
Bumble and bumble Curl (Style) Pre-Style/Re-Style Primer
Bumble and bumble Curl (Style) Pre-Style/Re-Style Primer detangles and defines curls while assuring they stay under control.
Living Proof Restore Revitalizing Spray
Living Proof Restore Revitalizing Spray boasts a breakthrough molecule—discovered by MIT scientists—that blocks humidity by forming a shield around each strand.
John Frieda Frizz-Ease Sheer Solution
John Frieda Frizz-Ease Sheer Solution is a serum and lotion hybrid that won't weigh down fine hair.
Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Original Leave-in Moisturizer
Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Original Leave-in Moisturizer uses moisturizing ingredients like shea butter, soybean oil, and cocoa butter to keep your hair frizz-free.
L’Oréal Paris Smooth Intense Frizz Taming Serum
L’Oréal Paris Smooth Intense Frizz Taming Serum creates a barrier to block your hair from humidity and tame the frizz.
Fekkai The Tamed One Anti-Frizz Balm
Fekkai The Tamed One Anti-Frizz Balm is infused with French Sea Lavender to “smooth tresses” for a more controlled feel.
Aussie Sprunch Catch the Wave Hair Spray
To best use Aussie Sprunch Catch the Wave Hair Spray, mist the product onto your part and roll the actual bottle over the sprayed section to banish flyaways.
Curlisto Deep Therapy Masque
Curlisto Deep Therapy Masque, an “8-minute hair repair,” combines rice, wheat and corn proteins with nourishing amino acids to strengthen hair.
Christonyc.com. $26 for 4 oz.
SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse
SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse defines curls without leaving your hair feeling scrunchy or sticky.