1 of 17
A Shore Thing
Create the illusion of a smaller middle with an empire-waist cutout or detail along the neckline—it draws attention up and away.
Left to right: Suit, 1 Sol Swim, 1solswim.com, $153. Necklace, Vince Camuto, Lord & Taylor, $75. Suit, H&M, hm.com for stores, $25. Bangles, R.J. Graziano, 212-685-3737, $65 and $55. Suit, Trina Turk, trinaturk.com, $148.
2 of 17
Go for the Gold
Show off your new suit with a gorgeous head-to-toe tan (faux, of course!). Follow these tips from St. Tropez tanning expert Sophie Evans.
- To start, prep skin by exfoliating the day before with an in-shower body polish.
- Before tanning, lightly rub a thin layer of oil-free moisturizer over elbows and knees, as well as around hairline and brows, to prevent staining.
- Apply self-tanner liberally. Streaks occur when formula is spread too thin.
—Certain body parts—including hands, feet, heels and even your face—tend to end up unnaturally dark. For these areas, dilute bronzer with equal parts moisturizer.
- If skin is dry, a creamy formula is your best bet, like Avène Moisturizing Self-Tanning Lotion, $22, aveneusa.com.
- After applying, wait eight hours for color to fully develop. When showering, water should always be lukewarm.
- Boost your bronze with a gradual glow lotion, like Jergens Natural Glow & Protect, $9, which contains SPF 20.
Suit, Karla Colletto, Tahiti Street Swimwear. Necklace, Vince Camuto, macys.com.
3 of 17
Solid-colored suits and little-to-no embellishments flatter a fuller bust. If you prefer more coverage, try a one-shoulder option or look for styles with wider straps.
Left to right: Suit, Michael Michael Kors Swimwear, lordandtaylor.com, $112. Sunglasses, Mango stores, $30. Cuff, Sequin, sequin-nyc.com, $58. Suit, Badgley Mischka, theorchidboutique.com, $110. Necklace, Sequin, sequin-nyc.com, $98. Suit, La Blanca, bloomingdales.com, soma.com and everythingbutwater.com. $109. Ring, Vince Camuto, Lord & Taylor, $38.
4 of 17
Styles cut high on the upper thigh make legs look longer and leaner. A built-in belt or strategically placed ruching accentuates your waistline.
Left to right: Suit, Gottex, Saks Fifth Avenue, $178. Suit, Cia Maritima, ciamaritimaus.com, $149. Suit, Miraclesuit, Dillard's and saksfifthavenue.com, $152.
5 of 17
Slide belongs to Flattering Swimsuits for Summer @ page 5
Flattering One Piece Swimsuits for Every Figure
Learn which one-piece swimsuits are most slimming and flattering for your figure.
6 of 17
Learn the secrets to looking cool and fresh when the heat is on from Mally Roncal, makeup artist and creator of Mally Beauty.
- Steer clear of liquids and creams with very light textures—the more sheer a product, the easier sweat can penetrate.
- Brush on a powder foundation for even coverage and that clean "no makeup" look.
- For blush, concealer and eye shadow: first apply a cream or stick version, then set it with a powder in a similar shade.
- Finish with a single coat of waterproof mascara.
Suit, Eres, 1-888-656-ERES.
7 of 17
Keep skin soft and supple all summer long with hair removal tricks from NYC dermatologist Dr. Jeannette Graf.
- Exfoliating is the best way to minimize ingrown hairs. Rub a gentle scrub—like Nivea A Touch of Renewal Lathering Body Scrub, $6—in a circular motion and follow with a nourishing lotion to soften hair follicles.
- Clean and dry razor blades after every use, and change them frequently. Look for a shaver with a pivoting head for hard-to-reach spots. Bic Soleil Savvy, $7.50, and Schick Hydro Silk, $10, are good options.
- Extra-hydrating formulas reduce irritation when waxing. Nair Brazilian Spa Clay Roll-on Wax, $10.50, contains mineral-rich clay, mango butter and açai berry, and glides on easily.
- A healing moisturizer is the final step. Sally Hansen Zero Bumps Bikini Spray, $8, soothes with witch hazel, soy and aloe.
Suit, 1 Sol Swim, 1solswimwear.com.
8 of 17
Swimsuits That Lengthen Your Legs
Lauren by Ralph Lauren, macys.com, $139.
9 of 17
Posh Pop of Pink
L*Space, sundancebeach.com, top, $62; bottom $62.
10 of 17
Be a Babe in Beige
Simply Maaji Swimwear, theorchidboutique.com, $112.
11 of 17
Swimsuits That Create a Waist
Vix Swimwear, vixswimwear.com, top, $88; bottom, $88.
12 of 17
Roxy, roxy.com, top, $48; bottom, $38.
13 of 17
Nautica, nautica.com, top, $55; bottom, $47.
14 of 17
Swimsuits That Support Your Bust
Hermanny by Vix, vixswimwear.com, top $73, bottom $59.
15 of 17
Stripes and Straps
Allen B., JCPenney stores and jcp.com, top, $25; bottom, $25.
16 of 17
Magicsuit, bloomingdales.com, $162.
Originally published in the June 2012 issue of Family Circle magazine.
This piece was accurate at publication time, but all prices, offerings and styles are subject to change.
17 of 17