5 Things Every Teen Should Know About Sex
In our November “Sex Talk” feature, we offered up dozens of ways to get that important dialogue going with your kid. Looking for more conversation starters? Try these five things every teen should know about sex.
1. You’re not the only virgin. Less than half of all high school students have ever engaged in intercourse.
2. It won’t make him/her fall in love with you. Sex and love don’t necessarily go hand in hand. If you’re looking for something to bring you two closer together, consider how you’d feel if it actually pulled you apart.
3. You can get pregnant the first time. Birth control prevents the sperm and egg from meeting up—not how often you have sex.
4. Two condoms are not better than one. Doubling up condoms increases friction and decreases effectiveness. The only 100% effective form of birth control is abstinence.
5. You can tell if someone has an STI. Not always. And remember, not all sexually transmitted infections have cures and many can impact your fertility or overall health.
What do you wish every teen knew about getting intimate? Post a comment below and tell us!
Read more about having the sex talk with your teen here.
Lyna Floyd is the health director at Family Circle magazine.